Loading..

Product was successfully added to your basket.



Star Star Star Star Star

Gas Safety Week is Coming

First launched in 2011, Gas Safety Week is still in its relative infancy however support for this national campaign has grown each year, with organisations of all shapes and sizes coming together to keep our nation safe.

The seventh annual Gas Safety Week is now upon us we’re marking the occasion by sharing all the latest gas safety advice across our Facebook and Twitter pages throughout the week, so be sure to like and follow us to help keep you and your family gas safe!

We’re all used to relying on gas to provide heating, hot water and cook our meals but poorly serviced or badly fitted gas appliances can be dangerous. That’s why The Gas Safe Register devised Gas Safety Week. Gas Safety Week is timed to mark the beginning of the colder season and aims to raise awareness among the general public on all the latest gas safety advice before winter sets in.

Read our top tips below to help keep you safe (and warm) in your home this winter.

Service your gas appliances annually

Servicing your gas appliances annually will allow your engineer to highlight potential risks to your heating system and boiler before they arise. During an annual inspection, your engineer will check for correct functioning of your system, inspect the system of gas leaks and check parts for wear and tear. If you’re a landlord, it’s a legal requirement that your boiler is serviced annual and a gas safety certificate is produced with a copy for you, your tenants and letting agency

Check gas appliances for signs they’re not functioning correctly

Between the time of your annual gas service and next scheduled service, it is possible for your gas appliance to fail or show signs that it’s not functioning correctly. Tell tales signs may include but are not limited to a lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue one, black marks or stains on or around your appliance and too much condensation in the room your appliance is installed in.

Fit a carbon monoxide alarm

All domestic gas appliances including boilers and gas fires can produce carbon monoxide (CO), a highly dangerous gas that’s poisonous when inhaled by people and pets alike. Colourless, odourless and tasteless, carbon monoxide is often dubbed the “silent killer”, as its common for homeowners to be completely unaware of exposure. Fitting a carbon monoxide alarm helps to protect your family from the risks posed by carbon monoxide poisoning. Upon detection of CO, your carbon monoxide alarm will sound to alert you, helping to keep you and your family safe.

Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliance

There are an abundance of horror stories whereby homeowners have contracted unqualified engineers or even family friends to conduct gas work, without the correct certification. This poses a significant risk to you and your family as they may not have had the relevant training and experience in completing your gas works. It’s vital to ensure that only qualified engineers work on your gas appliances and that they have relevant experience in working with that particular appliance and fuel type.  Don’t be afraid to ask your engineer for their Gas Safe card and be sure to check their ID

Be aware of the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning

Being mindful of the fact that carbon monoxide can be emitted by your gas appliance will help to keep you alert in your home. If you do not have a CO alarm fitted in your home, then it’s vital you’re aware of the symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning. These symptoms are explained further here. Key symptoms of CO poisoning include;

  •  Headaches
  • Fatigue
  • Dizziness
  • Drowsiness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Vomiting
  • Confusion
  • Collapsing
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Muscle weakness
  • Organ failure
  • Death

Stay gas safe this winter and follow us on Facebook and Twitter throughout Gas Safety Week to keep up to date with all the latest Gas Safe tips and advice.